Become part of an exciting, market leading, and vibrant company within the maritime industry. Lead an important port in Europe and become part of a team with high standards and handpicked proficiency.
We offer a great career development opportunity within the maritime service industry working for the world’s leading towage provider. We strive every day compassionately to maintain our world leading position, drive change, and win in the markets in which we operate. This opening is an opportunity to gain P&L responsibility for an important part of the UK towage market and become part of the UK Management Team.
As our new Port Manager, you will work closely with crews, staff and functional managers and external stakeholders in demonstrating your business acumen. You will grow your professional career through leadership, and you will adopt a broad network within the company as well as in the Group, where learning and development opportunities are numerous.
This position is based in Milford Haven, although travelling is occasionally expected in the UK and Europe.
You will be responsible for the general management of the Milford Haven port operation, defining local business objectives in alignment with the UK strategy, ensuring the successful management of the port P&L and maintaining strong relationships with external and internal stakeholders e.g. customers, agencies, port authorities and functional teams.
You will lead a diverse team of off and on shore employees, maintaining a smooth flow of work, ensuring the organisation maintains the highest safety standards while staying on schedule and meeting or exceeding the targets set.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Ensure the highest level of safety and quality standards are being met according to our safety management system and that all employees work to achieve an interdependent safety culture.
- Leadership of the team conducting the general day-to-day management of the operation within the Milford Haven Port.
- Lead and support the crews and staff to ensure enablement of the frontline to secure operational excellence.
- Build relations to crews and union representatives to nurture and implement One Culture.
- Monitor and develop new business opportunities within the current market and identify/develop potential new profitable revenue streams.
- Account Manage the relationship with key clients within the port.
- Develop and nurture enduring relationships with key stakeholders/influencers in the port including Port Management/local government bodies.
- Ensure the continuous reliability of the vessel fleet, including Maintenance & Repair, Classification Requirements, proper branding, etc.
- Continually seek out new and better ways to operate our business.
Who we are looking for
Our ideal candidate has:
- Operational experience from the maritime industry
- Excellent organisational, time management and planning skills
- Ability to build strong relationships
- A deep commercial understanding
- Capability to deal with people at a broad range of levels
- High levels of professionalism, honesty, and integrity
- The ability to work independently as well as in a team
- The ability to think conceptually while managing the detail
- Have the ability to work effectively in a matrix structure
- Commitment to continuous improvement and compliance to policies and procedures
- Has a seniority of +10 years within the maritime industry and experience from a leadership role
To be successful, you need to demonstrate:
- An extensive background in the maritime industry with capability to communicate effectively with Port Authorities and industry groups at a high level
- Strong business acumen having a structured and data driven mindset with a sound knowledge of financial management and analytical skills
- Strong leadership skills – able to motivate and inspire teams to excel and driving engagement
- Excellent collaboration and influencing/negotiation skills, e.g. with Unions
Jobs in Maritime recognises that it is essential to provide equal opportunities to all persons without discrimination.
We will not discriminate based on gender, race, marital status, disability, age, health, employment status, sexual orientation, or religion.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK or hold UK permanent residency.