Our client is Europe’s busiest ferry port, handling 33% of UK-EU trade, worth £144bn per annum. Each year more than 2 million freight vehicles, 2 million tourist vehicles and 10 million passengers pass through the Port. We also welcome more than 120 cruise ships, 150 cargo vessels and 4,000 leisure craft in our marina each year. But we’re not just about trade and transport.
We have a vibrant and growing property portfolio and are transforming the waterfront with new amenities and activities that are making it a great place to live, work and enjoy under the famous White Cliffs.
Providing the infrastructure to support this diverse and busy 24/7 operation requires a dedicated team of people working in a diverse range of roles. We are committed to developing the skills and industry knowledge of our employees to enhance performance and support the achievement of our business objectives.
Are you curious, passionate and results driven? Do you want to put your Business Development capabilities to work in helping drive the future of a business with diverse customers and services that is critical to the local, regional and national economy?
The role will be working within our Commercial team as a Business Development Manager, you will be based out of our operation in the Port, Reporting to the Head of Business Development, the Business Development Manager will develop and deliver the Ports evolving and dynamic commercial strategy through engagement with existing and prospecting of potential future customers, strengthening our customer portfolio.
Duties of the Post Holder
Create, maintain, and grow relationships with cargo customers, including perishable, construction, ferry, unitilsied and new business lines to
a) Delivery revenue growth
b) Ensure Cargo is being actively promoted to the market
• Create, maintain and grow relationships with logistics providers, hauliers, supply chain, agency businesses within London, the South Easter and further afield through a range of activities, to pro-actively seek and introduce new business
• Create B2B business Development material and attend trade/corporate events focusing on current and new product promotion, increasing volume and general brand awareness of the area
• Grow presence and knowledge with both domestic and international trade operations in our key markets
• Customer and market analysis
• Lead on the development of commercial presentations, proposals and work cross functionally with
specialised departments (e.g.Finance, operations, engineering etc)
• Organise port tours as necessary
Analysis customer performance through investigation of current volumes and revenue streams looking for opportunities to grow and support our existing customers
Skills and Qualifications:
▪ Highly competent Business Development professional with 3+ years’ experience in the relevant BD field, coupled with customer focus and
experience of the Cargo industry in a port, hauliers, logistics, supply chain or related sectors
▪ Marketing experience – developing and implementing proposals in a highly commercial environment
▪ Strong background in relationship management
▪ Resilient and driven to exceed targets and creatively solve problems
▪ Passionate about growth and innovations
▪ Analytical skills and ability to draw conclusions from statistical and market data
▪ Financial awareness and preferably experience in managing budgets and P&L
▪ Project management skills
▪ Confident user of MS applications
▪ Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate (verbally and written) to varying stakeholders and seniorities
▪ Flexible working – although should be willing to work 2/3 days a week in the office
▪ Live & work in one of the best places to visit in the world according to Lonely Planet
▪ Be part of a fantastic team
▪ Exciting place to work
▪ 25 days annual leave
▪ Generous contributory pension scheme
▪ Discretionary bonus scheme
▪ Private healthcare
▪ Life assurance
▪ Employee Assistance Programme
▪ 3rd party discounts
▪ Cycle to work scheme
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK or hold UK permanent residency.