Location: Milford Haven Operations – Harbour – Pembrokshire
General Area of Responsibility
- To assist the operation and wider management team in the provision of marine operational expertise to ensure all vessels and crew meet their safety, environmental and operational requirements are met at all times in order to maintain customer satisfaction and operational efficiency.
Specific Area of Responsibility:
Your main tasks will be:
To maximise the operational efficiency and effectiveness of marine operations and marine equipment in compliance with the operating manual, with a particular emphasis on health & safety issues and lifesaving/firefighting equipment.
- To provide operational support to port management team and crew in order to maintain efficient towage operations. Will be the go to person in case the Port Manager or Marine Superintendent is on holiday.
- Assist in the coordination of training and development , liaising with Crew Training officer ensuring that marine (deck and engine) personnel meet national requirements with respect to certification and training.
- Work with the Marine Superintendent and Technical Engineering team to ensure safe and effective transfer of vessels between ports and associated familiarisation of personnel to vessels.
- To assist in the management of the certification process with regard to vessel class and issues regarding the various Classification Societies and the MCGA UK.
- Maintain all crew records including the management of timesheets for processing by payroll including the input and submission of payroll ensuring crew are correctly paid.
- Encourage staff to contribute to the Employee Engagement Survey on an annual basis and ensure feedback of results and actions are given in a timely manner.
- To have a broad understanding of the port’s commercial situation and contracts, and assist alongside the Marine Superintendent in supporting the the Port Managers in commercial activities where required.
- Be part of an ’on call’ rota for operational out of hours contact
- Undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time to ensure the operational efficiency of the business.
- 5 GCSE’s including English and Maths or equivalent
- Professional deck department qualifications to a minimum of STCW II/3 preferred but not essential.
- Familiarity with Maritime Rules, Regulations, Codes and Guidelines; ISM Code and ISPS requirement’s and class preferred
- Shoreside marine, technical and training experience required, particularly with regard to regulations and legislation, including knowledge of Manila amendments
- Experience with small craft preferred
- Some shore commercial / managerial experience preferred
- UK driving licence required
Training and competencies
- Ability to communicate written and orally at all levels
- Ability to use MS office
- Training will be provided in the use of HMS, Sertica and other internal systems
- Ability to set objectives and deliver results that have direct long-term impact
- Ability to communicate new concepts and practices persuasively at all levels
- Ability to identify problems and provide innovative solutions
- Ability to apply broad knowledge and leaderships skills to related job areas
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Clear understanding of certification and document control with regards to vessel operations
Benefits – Private medical and dental insurance, pension, death in service insurance, bonus scheme and many more.
Jobs in Maritime recognises that it is essential to provide equal opportunities to all persons without discrimination.
We will not discriminate based on gender, race, marital status, disability, age, health, employment status, sexual orientation, or religion.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK or hold UK permanent residency.